Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Major Problems

Alright, let's face it. Choosing a major for college is annoying and hard. Heck, I've been trying to choose one since I was a freshman. First it's music, then theater, nursing, accounting, forensic science. When will it end? The thing about this choice is that it's very important, and will probably impact the rest of your life. And yet they expect us, at 17 or 18 years old, to make this tough, life-altering decision. One day they treat us like we're children, and the next they push us out on our own, expecting us to know what to do, how to live. And you know what I say to that?
If you expect me to know what I want to do with the rest of my life after I finish high school, then you have another thing coming to you! If you're going to teach me useless b.s. during my whole high school career, and not tell me how to figure out what I want to do with my life, then you are no help to me! Not one of my classes has taught me how to balance a check book or do my taxes. You tell me that I could have taken an elective to learn that?

Yah I could have, if I hadn't wanted to eat lunch every day. I can learn that in college, you say? What if I don't go to college, hmm? Then I'm stuck. Stuck not knowing what I need to know to live in this country. Stuck not knowing how to get a job, how to pay my bills, how to be an adult. Because we are treated like children until we aren't. No gradual transition. Child until your 18th birthday. Then you can do whatever the heck you want because you're an adult and we don't care anymore. Yes well, thanks for that. But I think I'll just be over here teaching myself how to be an adult, since no one else cares.
 

2 comments:

  1. THIS. SO MUCH.
    I think this is something EVERYONE in our class can understand. It's scary, trying to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life and so often people ask "what are you going to major in?" I can't say anything except I don't know. Everyone always says there's time, but then WHY ARE YOU ASKING?
    This is a really honest post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. Especially the Sherlock gif. Oh damn. Good show. And Winnie the Pooh... I love him. But your opinion is completely true too. Sometimes I get really irritated with school because they are constantly telling me I need to prepare for college, know where I'm going or what I'm doing. I can't decide that right now, I don't have enough life experience to have any idea what my passion is. And I feel like a lot of my time spent stressing over getting good grades, but then I think about how a lot of the stuff we are learning will not help me whatsoever later in practical life. I don't know. I could go on for hours about this, so I'll stop now.

    ReplyDelete